Saturday, March 22, 2014

Change {Believing In Your Story}



I turned 35 this week.  Nope, I'm not afraid to admit it.  I've put my whole heart and soul into my 35 years on this earth.  I've made massive mistakes and fallen down both literally and figuratively more than a 35-year-old probably should in her lifetime.  But I've also gotten up.  Not gracefully or anything- heaven only knows!  Still, I am alive and I am happy and I am healthy and best of all, I am surrounded by people I love who somehow manage to love me back.  This year, this birthday, has seemed like a big one for me.  I'm not sure it really is, but it has seemed like one.  I've asked myself a LOT of questions.

What have I accomplished in my life?
What should I focus on accomplishing?
What have I given my children?  My husband?  The world?
What am I withholding?
Am I happy?
Am I helping others find happiness?
Am I taking care of myself?
Am I taking care of others?
Do I give enough?
Do I give too much?
What can I learn?
What can I teach?
What path am I on?
What path do I want to be on?

As I have considered Shabby Blogs, I've felt a lot of guilt.  I've felt so bad because I haven't been able to keep up with everything and I let my passion for helping and giving to others through SB die a little.  I felt like it was time to let it go and to let someone else, someone better, take over for me.  What I didn't realize was that maybe there is a better option.  Maybe there is a better way.  Maybe the reason I let myself get burned out was because I was doing it wrong.  Maybe I was just doing it wrong.


I'm going to share with you in another post exactly what I've learned about what I call Blogger Burn-out.  For now, let me just say that I have been on a really cool and much-needed journey that has taken me full circle.  As a result, I will be changing a lot of things at Shabby Blogs.  I don't want to throw anyone off or to confuse anyone, but these changes are a necessary part of my journey- my own story.  I'm going to share those changes with you because it is important to me to keep you in the know, but also because my hope is that these changes/insights may be helpful to others as well.

  • Shabby Blogs has never been a business to me.  That has kept it true to who I am, but also taken from me and my family in both a personal and financial way.  As much as I hate "money stuff," I'm going to have to at least be a tiny bit businessy so that my family can benefit in some way from what I do here.  SB will always be free.  I'm just going to be more open to having sponsors.  Thank you in advance for supporting me in this decision and for supporting Shabby Blogs by visiting and loving on the advertisers/sponsors we currently have and the new ones we will be welcoming in the future.
  • I'm outing myself.  As much as I have always promoted Shabby Blogs in "we" and "us" and "our" terms, the truth is that Shabby Blogs is...just me.  It is one person.  Mrs. Megan Hastings.  (Hello there!)  My sweet older brother coded the original SB site for me and I have hired several people to help me with it over the years.  In the past, I brought in an awesome photographer, Jessica Downey, to write some posts for me and the magnificent Keren from Free Pretty Things has been an absolute angel.  But Shabby Blogs, itself, is just me...myself.  Sorry if that's a disappointment.  Sigh.
  • Being true to myself in all of my various roles, and as a human being in general, is something I am passionate about.  (It sounds strange, but I feel really excited and liberated now that I've given myself permission to be an actual person over here.  Ha!)   I intend to follow my heart and my own interests and passions.  I'm afraid that is going to totally spill out through this blog like water through a cracked dam...and I'm going to not only let that happen, but snatch a swim noodle and ride the wave!  That's different for Shabby Blogs, but I'm hoping you'll like the cool things that wave washes up.
  • While I am passionate about helping you beautify your blogs, I'm most passionate about my belief behind that.  My belief is that every person deserves a place to tell their own unique story.  I love helping people make their own special homes on the web a better reflection of who they are.  That has made me so happy!  But I want to do more than that.  I want to take that further.  Please hang in there with me as I unfold what that means.  :)
  • I'm willing to ask for help.  That's super hard for me, friends.  I'm kind of a control freak...plus, I hate asking for things.  (Ha!  It's true though!)  In order to make Shabby Blogs all it can be, I need to let people help me.  I'm so excited to be forming my own little team of Shabby Ninjas.  I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but I can already promise you they are going to be some seriously talented people who I know you will love!  Heck- it might even be YOU!
So there you go.  That's what I have learned and what I have in mind for the future of Shabby Blogs.  I'm excited for a fresh start and hope you'll come along with me on this journey.  I would whole-heartedly LOVE your company...because, if you don't mind me saying so...this thing is about to get a lot more awesome!!!!!

54 comments:

  1. My background and other design buttons are not working ( and haven't been for several days) I have tweeted you for help, and even left a comment on your previous post which you talked about selling (now removed). I really loved my blog and am so very disappointed now that all of the design elements are not there. Your website is down. Can you please let me know something, anything at all as to whether these items will be working again ~ or am I just out of luck? You say above that *this thing is about to get a lot more awesome* ....please help and advise.....thank you in advance. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have the same problem with my background. I'm wondering should I search a new one or how long will the page be down? I hope that everything is alright with you and SB, because I really liked all of the designs!
      Wish you well!

      Delete
    2. votre boy est en congés ! n'avez-vous lu ce qu'a écrit Megan ? en plus vous râlez un dimanche ! Megan a une vie aussi elle ne vous doit rien, elle vous a tout donné et vous en avez bien profité, alors un peu de patience ou de courage, apprenez à vous débrouiller ! c'est trop facile de se servir sans rien débourser, de profiter sans fin..

      Delete
    3. Goodness gracious! Thank you so much for letting me know. Working on it right now!

      Delete
    4. Yay! ...Fingers crossed... thank you Megan! ❤

      Delete
  2. Hellow! good morning and a happy sunday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, I too love all of your free backgrounds and buttons you provide for people's blogs and have the same problem that started on Friday morning. Will you still be providing all the same backgrounds and buttons? Will you be up and running soon? Please if you could get back to me that would be great because I too tried to get in contact with you by twitter. I'm hoping that you will be able to get back to me with an answer.
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle
    julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! It should be fixed today! So sorry about that. :/

      Delete
    2. Ok Megan thanks and good luck with everything!

      Delete
  4. Me too - no background - help!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok great thanks but still nothing my end... is it still a known issue or do I need to do something my end now??? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. yey - it's back... thank you!!!

      Delete
  5. A ceux qui râlent avez vous seulement pris le temps de lire ce que nous a écrit Megan ? après tout ce qu'elle vous a donné gratuitement pendant ces dernières années, vous avez l'aplomb de ne vous occuper que de votre petit bouton inactif ! Megan n'est pas votre serviteur, ce qu'elle vous a offert, elle l'a fait au dépend de sa propre vie, de sa famille, de ses enfants et c'est ainsi que vous la remerciez ? bande de nuls ! vous n'êtes que des profiteurs invétérés occupés seulement d'amasser le fruit de son travail ! lisez ses écrits, donnez vous la peine de faire autre chose que de télécharger à tout va, souvent sans jamais même dire MERCI ! je comprends parfaitement sa remise en question, quand tout le monde vient pomper le fruit de la passion, sa générosité, le fruit de tant d'heures de travail bénévole pour nourrir vos blogs GRATUITEMENT, et vous avez le culot de vous plaindre ? un peu de respect je vous prie ! ce comportement est écoeurant, vous êtes pires que des charognes se précipitant sur leurs proies ! dans quel monde vivons-nous ? A Megan, quel que soit le choix du futur que vous réserverez à votre blog, je n'aurais de mots assez forts pour vous dire MERCI pour toutes les ressources que vous nous avez offertes. Il y a un âge en effet dans la vie où se pose la question des priorités, de savoir q'il y a autre chose que blogger et internet avec ces inconnus ingrats, il y a la vie, ailleurs aussi, les enfants, les loisirs, le bonheur à répartir autrement.. et VIVRE autrement que devant un écran. La vie est trop courte pour laisser s'en aller les meilleures années, même pour une passion et surtout si elle prend la priorité sur tout le reste !
    courage Megan, ne tenez pas compte des râleurs, mais vivez votre vie comme vous en ressentez le besoin, s'il faut passer par la case sponsors et rétribution, nous savons tous que la qualité se paie, alors les vrais amis seront avec vous ! Désolée, je ne maîtrise pas votre langue correctement, j'espère que la traduction sera fidèle à ce que j'ai exprimé. Très cordialement de France, Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for everything that you do and for all your hard work. As a wife & mom, I can totally understand how things have to change during different seasons of life. Looking forward to what is to come! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that it sounds like you've changed your mind about selling SB! Looking forward to the new and "a lot more awesome" site :)

    I guess it's taking longer on the 'fix' than anticipated.... I have no background or buttons yet, and it's Monday now. Hope you have all problems corrected soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, this Ozark Farm Chick has lost her wonderful and much loved buttons too. I pray you get it up and goin' soon...don't want to leave me hangin' with my top flyin' in the wind....Heeehehehee! No buttons....get it? :o)

    That wild and crazy gal from the beautiful Ponderosa wishes ya'll a wonderfully blessed and beautiful day straight from these blusterous hills and hollers!!!

    Thanks...as you can see we all LOVE your designs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Meg, I too hate to bother you but I still have no background or buttons on my blog and I'm hoping that you will have this problem and everything up and running soon.
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've found that my background doesn't work on Internet Explorer but DOES work on Safari. Love Shabby Blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sweet darlin', I could just hug ya and squeeze and call you George! Your probably waaay to young to remember that cartoon!)

    Thank you...it's back!!! 'Sorry you had to work on it so hard.

    God bless and get some rest sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Meg! Everything's working now. :) I hope your new direction for Shabby Blogs brings you much happiness and satisfaction. I love this site.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Meg, thanks so much I appreciate whatever you did and the background and buttons are back now on the blog and as beautiful as ever! Thanks for providing us all with the pretty graphics!
    Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy happy HAPPY! Our blog background & buttons are back & looking as charming as ever! Thanks for all the awesomeness! ❤ *doin' a happy dance*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Still a big fan of yours and ShabbyBlogs!! Looking forward to the "awesomeness" you have in store for SB:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I am so HAPPY that y'all are still here! A couple of days ago I couldn't get to Shabby Blogs at all, found that my SB background had disappeared along with my SB pretties, and I couldn't install any other background. But now I have my background and my happiness back! My only challenge now is having too much white space around my SB header. (Can you hear that loud "Praise the Lord!" that I just shouted from here?) Have a blessed day! Looking forward to this fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  17. :) it was nice to read about you. I wish you the bests of lucks!

    Visitame en ♥ yo-lolita.blogspot.com ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your site and the amazing designs you have. I think your plans for awesomeness will be great. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Meg,
    My name is Monica! I just wanted to let you know that I think you are amazing and I am obsessed with your blog and your love of shabby chic just like me!
    I have been thinking I need to comment on your blog for a week or two, because I recently revamped my little blog/dream. It is shipsetsail.blogspot.com. My blog is like a showcase and jumping point for all my readers to share their life goals and dreams and stories, so others can be inspired as well.....This post really hit home because you are doing just that! You have created a place where people are being able to "believe in your story", just like you said and I just love that and believe in it so much!!!

    That being said,.....I would love to help you out in the future if I can! I'm not sure how much I could, but maybe we could help each other out too. I love love love shabby things, and I love my blog, so it's a perfect mix! Please comment, or reply to me if you see this. Also, I would love if my blog, or idea could get featured, or even if you could comment on a post I would love that. I need all the readers I can get.

    If you would like some help from me in the future, reach out, I would love to connect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!!! Stop Stop stop! I just looked at your instagram.....I am Mormon and from Mesa! I randomly found shabbyblogs over 3 years ago, and I had NO idea you were so close to me! SMALL WORLD.

      Delete
  20. Beautiful post...written from the heart! Celebrating change with you! You have such a beautiful gift and and I love that you are willing to share it with the world. I look forward to hearing about your journey as you begin to share your story. :)
    findinglouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Online Jobs of Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Add Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plans, Investment Plans, Genuine earnings from home.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Genuines Works of Data Entry, Copy Pasting, Add Posting, Clicking, Web Surfing, Website Visiting, Article Sharing, Data Sharing, Google Business Plan and Much More Business Plans
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. World Latest vehicles, Super Cars, Super Latest Speed Cars, Expensive Cars, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. All Kind of Current Affairs, Latest Hot News updates, Classified Sites, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I want edit my blogspot like this this is my bog spot i dont now how to edit blogpot in html or drag and drw in phot shop please advice something to do in
    http://andipalayam.blogspot.in/
    http://andipalayam.blogspot.in/
    http://andipalayam.blogspot.in/
    http://andipalayam.blogspot.in/
    http://andipalayam.blogspot.in/
    http://andipalayam.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Latest All Hot Current Affairs, Bollywood News updates, funny and lol pictures
    HotCurrentAffairs

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am so happy to read this. After taking a long break from blogging due to life's craziness, I rushed back to your website (an old favorite of mine!) as soon as I decided to jump back in (yesterday). Reading your blog this afternoon has inspired me. :0) Thanks for what you do, for your passion, and for your honesty. I strive to be a passionate, honest blogger myself! I can't wait to see what is in store for you. See you round!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Online Corner is the best Platform to earn money online from internet, Just Join Now and start earnings
    OnlineCornerz.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Get your website on google top 10 Results, Best Search Engine Optimization Company in Pakistan
    Contact Now
    Skype : Jobz.Corner
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Find home based jobs of link building, facebook marketing, add marketing, add clicking and much more jobs.
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Business at home...??? want to join the best business without any work, just invest and rest
    www.earningsclub.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Best Business Club of Earnings, Hourly Stable Plans Like 1% Hourly for 120 Hours, Total 120% Profit within 5 Days
    EarningsClub.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Get Facebook Likes on your fb page, likes on your facebook pictures, followers on your facebook id, shares of your facebook posts, every thing is available here, visit for more details
    www.jobzcorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Find Best online home based jobs, data entry, copy pasting, facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Find Best online home based jobs, data entry, copy pasting, facebook and clicking jobs
    JobzCorner.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Play Games and Earn Money online from home, best add clicking website in the world
    PaidVerts.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Earning is only for you, just spend 1 hour daily and earn upto $35 Daily with just clicking job, Join Now
    adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. for best Online Jobs without any rejection, no time limit required, no investment requires, just spend few minutes and earn upto $35 daily
    www.adsclickearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Instant Payment without any Risk, Just Invest and Rest of your home, Just Invest as low as $5 and Get Instant Profit, Join Fast
    HotProfitOnline.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! We are so glad you're here! We may not always be able to comment on your blog, but please know that we will be visiting and considering you for our next Featured Blogger!